Achterfam

An update blog for members of the WH Achterman family.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Running of the Bulls

Hey all!

What a weekend it has been! Yesterday was the running of the bulls, which is another way of saying that 20, 000 university students come from all over Mexico to binge drink for two days. Personally I am thankful that the hubbabalu is over, having drunk guys fighting about a girl outside of your home at four in the morning is not my idea of fun.

Last weekend though was a blast. The 16th of September is independence day here and the fireworks and celebrations are intense yet full of joy and goodwill. Plus it is always nice to have an extra day of work off. It was particularly fun because San Miguel was the first municipality that was taken over by the Mexican insurgents. This means that every year there are re-enactments and people from all over Mexico come to celebrate in the "cradle of independence".

As for work things keep moving along. It seems amazing to me that I have been here for six weeks already. I have been doing a lot of work lately in the development office getting publicity out and teaching people how to use different computer programs. So although the work I am doing is necessary for the successful running of CASA, it does not really apply to what I have been studying. Next week I will hopefully start work on the environmental health program, so that is exciting.

So that is it for now. If you would like to see more pictures email me at achteram@onid.orst.edu or ask my Mum to forward along some of the ones she has.

-saludos, Mandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home